Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Funky Barrister's Valentine's Day Playlist

In the spirit of Valentine ’s Day here are some of my favourite romantic songs:


Adele: “Make You Feel My Love”



This is a cover version of a Bob Dylan song and was featured on Adele’s first album 19.

The Pretenders: “I’ll Stand By You”



This is a song that has always meant a lot to me on a personal level. It was also used in Homicide: Life on the Streets (my favourite TV show in the 90’s) in a memorable scene. It also defines me, to an extent. Standing by someone, defending them when everyone is against them is what I do as a lawyer.

The Pogues Feat. Kirsty MacColl: “Fairytale of New York”



Yes this is a Christmas song. However, the depth of love between these two characters is undeniable when Shane MacGowan sings near the end about her dreams “I put them with me babe/ I put them with my own/Can’t make it on my own, I built my dreams around you.”

Isaac Hayes: “Walk On By”




This is a cover version of a Burt Bacharach/Hal David song originally sung by Dionne Warwick. This is a radical reinvention of the song. It’s also aural sex, from the introduction as foreplay, Isaac Hayes singing sweet nothings in your ear, and building up to an orgasmic climax. 

Crowded House: “Distant Sun”



This song, in a sense details what men feel like when they are in love.  There is no truer statement a man can make than “I don’t pretend to know what you want, but I offer love”.

Peter Gabriel: “In Your Eyes”



This is the song in the iconic scene in the film Say Anything. However, this is one of the few live versions that is better than the original.

Otis Redding: “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long To Stop Now”



Regular readers know my favourite singer of all time is Otis Redding. This song alternates with “Try A Little Tenderness” as my favourite song of his.  This is a live performance from the Monterey Pop Festival and his vocal performance is amazing. The strength and the power of the emotion in his voice shows Otis at his peak.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment