Saturday, January 8, 2011

Happy Birthday Elvis

If he was still alive Elvis would be 76 today (Living Colour said it best: Elvis is Dead). 




There’s a deleted scene from Pulp Fiction where Uma Thurman interviews Travolta. At one point she says there are certain types of questions there are only two ways a person can answer and which way they answer reveals their personality. As an example, you’re either an Elvis fan or a Beatles fan. That doesn’t mean that an Elvis fan can’t like the Beatles or vice versa, but it’s impossible to like them both equally. You gotta make a choice. Here’s the scene: 



I am an Elvis man. Love the Beatles. But ultimately, I’m an Elvis man. 

I’ll do longer, full length posts on Elvis at some point. I haven’t read Peter Guralnick’s definitive biographies yet and I want to do that first. For now, here are some of my favourite songs:

Blue Moon of Kentucky: 



Mystery Train:



Are You Lonesome Tonight?



Marie’s The Name (His Latest Flame):



Burning Love:



Because I’m a cheeky B*stard I’ll include my favourite cover version of an Elvis Song. Yes, I actually prefer their version over Elvis. 

Fine Young Cannibals – Suspicious Minds:




Unfortunately, Elvis did NOT record for Stax. Can you imagine though, Elvis backed by Booker T and the MG’s? It would have been awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment